Like most other states, Minnesota suggests that both the parents should support their children, even if they have undergone a divorce. If possible, it is advised by the judges to take joint custody of the children. The custody of the child is one of the complex issues, which is difficult to sort out after a divorce. Parents have to face the reality that they will not be able to meet their kids whenever they want. The issue of child custody is not resolved once the divorce papers are finalized. The reason behind is, as they grow their opinion matters as to with whom they want to spend the rest of their life. This usually creates further clash, hard feelings and stress in the relationships.
Be a proud single parent
Being a single dad, you may be struggling to meet your responsibilities. It is not easy to be a single parent and especially for men who are usually not accustomed to the household chores. But if you follow the single dad tips and strategies, then you can successfully raise your kid single-handedly. At times it may seem tough, but you have to be positive about the situation and have faith in yourself.
When can a child choose his/her custody?
In Minnesota, there is no fixed age for the child to decide on which of his or her parents he or she to live. If the child is older, the decision is left to him or her. Or else, it is usually finalised by the judge or the parents. Some are under a wrong impression that when children are12, 13 or 14 years old, they are allowed to take this decision, but this is not practically true.
Tips on becoming an exceptional single dad
Here, are some of the single dads tips that will help you sort out your life and make it much better:
- Never criticise your ex-wife in front of the kids – This creates a negative impact on their mind, after all, that person is also their parent for whom they still have some respect.
- Build a good support network – Bringing up your kid all by yourself is not an easy task, especially for a dad. So, always maintain a good relationship with people around so that you can reach out for help.
- Be prepared for the future – It is noticed that dads usually have a tendency to narrow down things, but in this case, you need to have a broader perspective and see the future.
- Try to stay calm – Parenting is not easy, it adds a lot of stress to raise your children. If you are a single parent, then the stress level is double. You often tend to lose your temper which you need to take control of.
- Take good care of yourself – To bring up your kids healthily, you cannot afford to neglect yourself and always should be in proper mental and physical shape.
- Enjoy life as it comes – Having fun is an essential part of childhood development process. It helps children create great memories and cherish them regardless of the turmoil they presently face.